Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC/PATCH v2] XENMEM_claim_pages (subop of existing) hypercall

> From: Andres Lagar-Cavilla [mailto:andreslc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH v2] XENMEM_claim_pages (subop of existing) hypercall
> > Fair enough.
> >
> > After reviewing the thread where low_mem was submitted, I have to admit
> > that I am a bit baffled as to when the low_mem handling would ever be
> > necessary.   I suspect it is because the author and I are approaching
>
> Little to be baffled at, as per above explanation. And probably a good idea
> to cc the author if so.
>
> Andres
>
> > memory management from a completely different paradigm (per discussion
> > in an earlier thread where "claim" was first proposed), so that
> > is probably better left for the deferred discussion of the
> > integration.
> >
> > So since you (Jan) do not consider this (lack of integration with
> > low_mem) a showstopper for claim, I will set myself a reminder
> > to initiate a new thread about this later.

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Andres (and sorry for the typo in your name earlier in the thread) --

> ...And probably a good idea to cc the author if so.

No offense intended, I certainly intended for you to be not just on
the "Cc" list but on the "To" list of the new thread, but you are too
quick for me and, due to time constraints, I may not get to that
new thread until next week (it's a holiday week in the US).  But until
then... a quick clarification:

> > After reviewing the thread where low_mem was submitted, I have to admit
> > that I am a bit baffled as to when the low_mem handling would ever be
> > necessary.   I suspect it is because the author and I are approaching

I meant "ever be necessary in the dynamic memory (e.g. tmem) paradigm",
not the squeezed (or MS -memory-balancing-engine) paradigm, where I can
at least fathom it.

Feel free to start the new thread if you like, but I may not be able
to answer for a few days.

Happy Thanksgiving-week-in-the-US,
Dan