Re: [Xen-devel] VM memory allocation speed with cs 26056

> From: Zhigang Wang
> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VM memory allocation speed with cs 26056
>
> On 11/12/2012 01:25 PM, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > On 12/11/2012 15:01, "Zhigang Wang" <zhigang.x.wang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Keir/Jan,
> >>
> >> Recently I got a chance to access a big machine (2T mem/160 cpus) and I
> >> tested
> >> your patch: http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/xen-unstable.hg/rev/177fdda0be56
> >>
> >> Attached is the result.
> > The PVM result is weird, there is a small-ish slowdown for small domains,
> > becoming a very large %age slowdown as domain memory increases, and then
> > turning into a *speedup* as the memory size gets very large indeed.
> >
> > What are the error bars like on these measurements I wonder? One thing we
> > could do to allow PV guests doing 4k-at-a-time allocations through
> > alloc_heap_pages() to benefit from the TLB-flush improvements, is pull the
> > filtering-and-flush out into populate_physmap() and increase_reservation().
> > This is listed as a todo in the original patch (26056).
> >
> > To be honest I don't know why the original patch would make PV domain
> > creation slower, and certainly not by a varying %age depending on domain
> > memory size!
> >
> >  -- Keir
> I did it second time. It seems the result (attached) is promising.
>
> I think the strange result is due to the order of testing:
> start_physical_machine -> test_hvm -> test_pvm.
>
> This time, I did: start_physical_machine -> test_pvm -> test_hvm.
>
> You can see the pvm memory allocation speed is not affected by your patch
> this time.
>
> So I believe this patch is excellent now.

I don't know about Keir's opinion, but to me the performance dependency
on ordering is even more bizarre and still calls into question the
acceptability of the patch.  Customers aren't going to like being
told that, for best results, they should launch all PV domains before
their HVM domains.

Is scrubbing still/ever done lazily?  That might explain some of
the weirdness.

Dan