[Xen-devel] Xen primary VGA pass through problems

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ferdinand Nölscher <ferdinand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:09:14 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:09:48 +0000

Hi!

Recently, I tried setting up VGA pass through with my machine. The set up is as follows:
I have two AMD vga adapters - I want to pass through the second one.

I compiled xen 4.2 from source and set everything up.
Attached to this message, you can find my windows 7 domU configuration file.

Whenever I want to pass through the device, I use "xl pci-assignable-add BDF" to unbind the adapter, before I create the domU. Pciback is loaded as module and is not compiled statically in the kernel.

Unless I do not specify "gfx_passthru = 1" in my configuration file, this works fine. The vga adapter gets detected and I can use it as secondary vga, with very limited performance. If I do set "gfx_passthru = 1" the domU doesnt boot at all. It just switches state from "r" (for running) to "-----" (which is nothing, i guess?) every few seconds. I can't find anything in the logs indicating an error.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

kind regards,
Ferdinand