Re: [Xen-devel] domain creation vs querying free memory (xend and xl)

(Rats, thought I sent this out yesterday...)

Oops, sorry, I missed this part of the thread because I wasn't directly
cc'ed and am behind on my xen-devel reading...

> IIRC, xl has a vary coarse grain locking mechanism in place for domain
> creation too. As a result of that, you shouldn't be able to create two
> domains at the same time, which should be enough for preventing the
> situation described in the original e-mail for occurring.
>
> Looking at acquire_lock() and release_lock() (and at where they are
> called) in xl code should clarify whether or not that is enough to
> actually avoid the race (which I think it is, but I might be wrong :-D).

This sounds like a pretty serious limitation, especially if it applies
to migration as well as creation (or a combination)... I hope it is not
a regression from xm to xl.  For example, suppose a data center
is trying to do a planned downtime for machine X by force-migrating
all guests to machine Y.  It sounds like xl would serialize this?

> That being said, there still is the room for races, although not wrt
> domain creation, as, for instance, there isn't any synchronization
> between creation and ballooning, which both manipulate memory. So, maybe
> thinking about some kind of reservation-based/transactional mechanism at
> some level might make actual sense.

Which is mostly the reason I am interested ;-) though solving
the superset of my problem is probably a good thing as well.

Dan