Re: [Xen-devel] grub error 28

>>> On 10.09.12 at 18:10, bunkertor <bunkertor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i compiled by myself xen-unstable from hg repo (changeset:
> 25835:c70d70d85306)
> but i'm facing a problem when i try to boot with xen kernel: Error 28
> Selected item can not fit into memory.
> i'm newbie and i cannot understand where i fail...

Did you ever successfully run Xen on that system?

>      GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

Is the very small upper memory value perhaps causing your
problem (i.e. are you dealing with a GrUB issue rather than a
Xen one)? Admittedly I don't know what values GrUB would
display normally, but the E820 map you presented looks
quite unusual, so I wouldn't be surprised if that caused
problems.

>   [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
>     lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the
> possible
>     completions of a device/filename.]
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> root (hd0,0)
>   Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> grub> kernel /xen.gz
> kernel /xen.gz
>     [Multiboot-elf, <0x964000:0x1a6db8:0x54248>(bad)
>
> Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

>From this, it pretty clearly is the (relatively small) hypervisor
image itself.

Jan