Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2 new features and status -- please help me make a list

On 09/07/12 16:14, Ian Campbell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trawling the mercurial logs looking for interesting new
> features to update http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.2_Feature_List and
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Release_Features and have come up with a
> list of interesting things which I need to know more about before I can
> say stuff.
>
> I've bcc'd people who I think might know about one or more of the
> following. If you do then please can you tell me:
>
>       * What is the feature, what is the impact for the end user?
>       * What is it's status in 4.2? Is it a proof of concept, an
>         experimental feature, tech preview or a finished completed
>         feature.
>       * Is it new in 4.2? If it isn't new what was it's status in 4.1
>         and 4.0 (i.e. from the list in the previous item).
>
> Of course if you know of a feature in 4.2 which isn't mentioned but
> which you think is worthwhile please let me know. I'm sure there are
> plenty which I missed.
>
> Also feel free to edit the wiki instead....
>
> TIA for your help.
>
> Ian.
>
> Nested Virtualisation: Allow HVM guests to use virtualisation hardware
> (e.g. Windows 7 compat mode)
>         Tech Preview, new in 4.2
>
> vMSI: ? Emulated (or real?) MSIs for guests?
>         State? New in 4.2?
>
> vMCE: Forward MCE (Machine Check Exceptions) to guests
>         New in 4.2? Preview or complete? I know improvements are pending
>         to migration in 4.3.
>
> AMD OSVW: What is this?
>         Seems to be new in 4.2?

OSVW (OS Visible Workarounds): Support for guests has been added
to make them disable workarounds for hw bugs not emulated/present
for guests.

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH