Re: [Xen-devel] Test report: Migration from 4.1 to 4.2 works

Jan Beulich writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Test report: Migration from 4.1 to 4.2
works"):
> On 31.08.12 at 13:04, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Migration 4.1 xend -> 4.2 xl
> >   Needs to be done with xl
> >   Stop xend on source, which leaves domain running and manipulable by xl
> >   xl migrate -C /etc/xen/debian.guest.osstest.cfg domain potato-beetle
> >   Works.
>
> Is that really an acceptable approach? What if you have multiple
> VMs running, and want to migrate just part of them? All the other
> would remain unmanageable at least for the duration of the
> migration(s).

This is true but in the usual case you'll be wanting to migrate them
all as part of an infrastructure upgrade to 4.2.

> (And I also wonder if 4.1's xl is complete/stable
> enough to recommend such an approach as a general mechanism.)

That is perhaps a worry but I'm pleased to be able to report that it
does work :-).

Thinking about it, I didn't try an HVM domain.  I will see if I can
manage that but probably not today.