Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 release planning proposal

That wasn't my point (though I see I wasn't very clear).

I meant that the part of the release cycle where new functionality
is accepted (the "window") should be a smaller _percentage_ of the
release cycle.  With Linux, it is about 20-25%.  For Xen it is probably
closer to 60-80%.  Once the window closes, the RC's start and new
functionality is put into "xen-next".  At the next window, the
release-Linus (George in this case) decides which functionality
in xen-next is stable enough to be pulled in during the window.

Of course, 18 months is far too long a release cycle for this approach,
and 9 months may be too long as well.  I think a target cycle
of 6 months with a "window" of 6 weeks would be a step in
the right direction

> Xen doesn't have the number of contributors or changes that make a Linux
> kernel style process necessary.

Personally, I think that's a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It is too hard
to use or develop on xen-unstable in part because too much is thrown in
(which, as George pointed out, is a result of developers learning that
if it doesn't go in xen-unstable, it will wait for many months).