Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 release planning proposal

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 01:56:27PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 20/08/12 20:14, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >Another USB item:
> >
> >* xl support for USB device passthru using QEMU emulated USB for HVM guests
> >(no need for PVUSB drivers in the HVM guest).
> >   This works today in xm/xend with qemu-traditional, but is limited to USB
> > 1.1, probably because
> >   the old version of Qemu-dm-traditional which lacks USB 2.0/3.0.
> >   So xl support for emulated USB device passthru for both qemu-upstream and
> > qemu-traditional.
>
> OK, I'll put that on the list.  Thanks.

Thanks!

> >More wishlist items:
>
> I'm going to be experimenting with a website designed for user
> feedback, to both suggest features but also to help prioritize what
> you think are the important features. Expect an e-mail in a day or
> two with the announcement.

Good idea.

> I think the Citrix team is probably mostly full for this release
> cycle; so anything that requires significant development work but
> doesn't already have developers working on it will probably have to
> be put off until later, unless you can convince the regular devs
> it's something to prioritize, or you can bring in more developers to
> work on it. :-)

Yeah I can see that :) If we aren't able to get these done for 4.3,
some of these might be good GSoC projects aswell..

> >* Nested hardware virtualization. Important for easier testing and
> >development of Xen (Xen-on-Xen),
> >   and for running other hypervisors in Xen VMs. Interesting for labs, POCs,
> > etc.
>
> The ball is really in Intel / AMD's court on this one.  It's on our
> list of "things that might be nice", but given the other things we
> really do want to try to make into 4.3, wasn't that big of a
> priority for us.  If Intel or AMD want to make this a priority for
> them for 4.3, I can track it.

I think AMD nested svm is in pretty good shape already,
but Intel nested VMX is not there yet..

I think we'll know more about this after XenSummit.

> >* VGA/GPU passthru support for AMD/NVIDIA; lots of patches on xen-devel
> >archives,
> >   but noone has yet stepped up to clean up and get them merged.
> >   Currently Intel gfx passthru patches are merged to Xen, but primary
> > ATI/NVIDIA require extra patches.
> >   This is actually something that a LOT of users ask often, it's discussed
> > almost every day on ##xen on IRC.
> >   I wonder if XenClient folks could help here?
>
> What kind of patches are these? Are they mostly to pvops Linux?

I think mostly Qemu-dm patches.. some "tricks" are required to
fetch the VBIOS from the physical gfx card so it can be copied to the HVM guest
(some vendor specific hacks are needed to get a properly working copy of the
VBIOS).
Also legacy IO ports, legacy vga memory ranges, MMIOs, VESA/VBE need to be
passed thru etc.

Intel-specific tweaks are already in xen-unstable, but AMD/NVIDIA specific ones
aren't.

> >* Dom0 Keyboard/mouse sharing to HVM guests; mainly needed by VGA/GPU
> >passthru users.
> >   Fujitsu guys posted some patches for this in 2010, and XenClient guys in
> > 2009 (iirc),
> >   but nothing got further developed and merged to upstream Xen.
>
> What exactly is involved here? If the work is mostly done, but just
> needs someone to dust it off and submit it, then it's probably
> something we can add to the list.

Here's the patch from Dietmar Hahn / Fujitsu:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-03/msg01292.html

And here's some discussion about the XenClient keyboard/mouse sharing patch
from Jean Guyader:

http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-03/msg00979.html
and
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-01/msg00585.html

> >* QXL virtual GPU support for SPICE. Someone was already developing this,
> >   and posted patches earlier during 4.2 development cycle to xen-devel.
> >   Upstream Qemu includes QXL support.
>
> If "someone" wants to step up and claim responsibility, I'll put it
> on the list of things to track. :-)

Hehe, hopefully the "someone" notices this thread.. if not, we can go through
xen-devel archives.

> >* PVSCSI support in XL. James Harper was (semi) interested in working with
> >this,
> >   because he has a PVSCSI frontend driver in Windows GPLPV drivers, and
> > he's using PVSCSI for tape backups himself.

Hopefully James is still interested in this :)

> >* libvirt libxl driver improvements; support more Xen features.
> >   Allows better using the Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora/RHEL/CentOS "default"
> > virtualization GUI also with Xen.
>
> This is pretty important.  Looking at feature parity between
> libvirt+KVM and libvirt+Xen on the Citrix xen.org to-do list, but to
> begin with it's more of a research than a feature, so wasn't on this
> particular list.  If you happen to know a specific list of missing
> features, that might be something we could try to fit in for 4.3.

Yeah, I've been planning to test the latest libvirt libxl driver and
see what works and what doesn't, but haven't gotten there yet.

-- Pasi