[Xen-devel] Introducing O.S. system level virtualization in Xen

We have gone through various virtualization techniques and have found
these few advantages about the operating system virtualization which
we can integrate with Xen.

Advantages of O.S. level virtualization platform :
1) Virtual servers share the same system call interface and do not
have any emulation overhead.
2) Processes within the virtual server run as regular processes on the
host system. This is somewhat more memory-efficient and I/O-efficient
than whole-system emulation
3)Processes within the virtual server are queued on the same scheduler
as on the host, allowing guests processes to run concurrently on SMP
systems. This is not trivial to implement with whole-system emulation.
4) Networking is based on isolation rather than virtualization, so
there is no additional overhead for packets.

But operating system level virtualization has the disadvantage that we
cant create Virtualization environment for propitiatory O.S. like
Windows. For which we have to use Hardware level virtualization like
Xen.

So we are planning to introduce features of O.S. level virtualization
in Xen, by proposing one integrated architecture[1] having Operating
system virtualization over one of the VM of Xen.
Please review our architecture and let us know whether it is worth to
implement it or not.

[1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/84959360@N02/7782516274/in/photostream
--
Be Happy Always