Re: [Xen-devel] Can xen support nommu cpu virtualization?

Hi Ian,

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 10:31 +0100, Lei Wen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a newbie for the XEN area and curious to know whether current XEN
>> could support nommu arch, or only MPU?
>> If current it doesn't support, does XEN have any plan or road map to
>> add this support in future?
>
> You should be able to run a NOMMU guest OS as an HVM guest today (or at
> least I can't think why it wouldn't work).
>
> There are no plans to make Xen itself usable on a no-MMU system, use of
> the MMU is pretty firmly baked into Xens architecture.

Yep, I get your point. However, on modern embedded system, there are still
place for no-mmu arches, like the ARM cortex-r7 processor:
http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-r/cortex-r7.php

So making such platform virtualised would have the business benefit, since
could reduce total embedded product BOM price.

Do you have any guideline or idea that could make nommu possible? :)
I would like to take the chance to investigate whether we could enable
it on XEN.

Thanks,
Lei