Re: [Xen-devel] How to load backend drivers in 4.2

See also http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-08/msg00717.html.

> The pvops kernel has 3 backend drivers which have module aliases:
>   xen-netback ; alias:          xen-backend:vif
>   xen-blkback ; alias:          xen-backend:vbd
>   xen-pciback ; alias:          xen-backend:pci
> These aliases have been in the tree since at least 3.2, which is a long
> time.
>
> The sles11sp2 kernel has more backend drivers, but they have no alias:
>   netbk
>   blkbk
>   xen-scsibk
>   usbbk
>   tpmbk
>   pciback
>
> I'm sure adding ad a MODULE_ALIAS() entry to netbk, blkbk and pciback to
> match mainline is trivial.

They're just not there because they only got introduced in 3.1.
Adding them of course is a nobrainer.

> I wonder why libxl does not do a 'modprobe xen-backend:vif &>/dev/null' if
> it is about to configure an interface for the first time? The current
> error message when a backend driver is missing is just not helpful.
>
> So what should be done in xencommons for 4.2? Add a dumb loop like this?
>
> for m in xen-backend:{vif,vbd,pci} netbk blkbk pciback xen-scsibk usbbk tpmbk
> do
>         modprobe $m &> /dev/null
> done
>
> Or should rather libxl take care of loading these things?

The outcome was that after 4.2 libxl should be doing this. For
4.2, we just need to get the list completed.

Jan