Re: [Xen-devel] [questions] Dom0/DomU on ARM under Xen

Hello Stefano and Ian,

2012/7/31 Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Alexey Klimov wrote:
>> I'm trying to run DomU and Dom0 on ARM under Xen and have some
>> problems (may be question of configuration).
>
> It is great to see interest in our project!
>

>> I'm using:
>> - unstable Xen mercurial repository with your "grant table" patches
>> and few patches from Ian Campbell (xcbuild,
>> xen_remap_domain_mfn_range, XENMAPSPACE_gmfn_foreign,  ARM support to
>> xc_dom).
>
> You also need "libxc/arm: allocate xenstore and console pages".
>
> Unfortunately with the 4.2 tree frozen we still have few missing pieces
> here and there in the Xen hypervisor and tools.
> I think that Ian intended to setup a Xen tree to be used for development
> with all the currently unapplied patches that are actually needed on top
> of xen-unstable.

I found patch and applied.

> Also the xcbuild patch posted by Ian is quite limited, I am attaching
> the xcbuild.c that I am currently using for my tests with PV disk and
> network support.

Thank you very much, i renamed Ian early version of xcbuild to
xcbuild-old, added your file and fixed Makefile to have two xcbuilds.
I found your patch on June 22 and looks like i missed it, my bad.
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-06/msg01338.html

>> - your (Stefano's) linux kernel git repository
>> git://xenbits.xen.org/people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git with head
>> 3.5-rc7-arm-1. I hope all patches to Linux kernel from Stefano letters
>> are there.
>
> You might also need:
>
> "xen/events: fix unmask_evtchn for PV on HVM guests"
>
> this is the last version that I posted:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=134263575132006&w=2

Also applied on top of Stefano's kernel tree cloned on my machine.

>> - Fast Models with few models created as described in wiki page
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions/FastModels
>> - device trees dts files (vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dts and
>> vexpress-virt.dts) from Stefano letter on 26 July. v2p-ca15-tc1 is
>> attached to Xen using CONFIG_DTB_FILE and vexpress-virt.dtb is
>> attached to DomU zImage.
>
> That's correct.
>

>> Well, kernel hangs after message (Calibrating delay loop...) when
>> running on models RTSM_VE/Build_Cortex-A15x4 and
>> RTSM_VE/Build_Cortex-A15x2. I attached logs (Dom0-A15x2 and A15x4).
>> Logs also shows problems with device trees (HBI and arch timer).
>>
>> I can boot Dom0 on Cortex-A15x1 model (log file Dom0-A15x1 with
>> warning/problems about DT and HBI) and when i'm tryng to boot zImage
>> using xcbuild utility then it also hangs with message from Xen "Guest
>> data abort: Translation fault at level 3". Log file is also attached.
>>
>> Could you please take a look and help?
>
> I have been testing on the Cortex-A15x1 model exclusively so far, so I
> am not surprised if there are any errors on the other models.
> Also I know that there are still few warnings on boot, but I haven't got
> around to fixing them yet.
>

>> May be i miss important config option in Linux kernel or in Xen.
>>
>> Is it okay that vexpress-virt descibes V2P-AEMv7A platform and not
>> V2P-CA15?
>
> That's should be OK.
>

>> It looks that vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dts includes
>> vexpress-v2m-rs1-rtsm.dtsi. Could you please also share this file if
>> it has specific options?
>
> I am attaching it. I think you might be missing an important change there.

Thanks, i checked it and used to build final dtb-file but it looks no
changes were there with file that i used.

>> And what can be reason of errors about
>> HBI/arch_timers when running Xen+Linux
>> kernel+vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dts on Cortex-A15x2 model?
>
> I am not sure yet, but I'll take a look. I'll try to fix them in one of
> the following version of my series.
>

>> I can provide/send other info if you want. Thanks in advance.
>
> Let me know if the missing patches and the new
> vexpress-v2m-rs1-rtsm.dtsi fix the issue!

Thank you very much for help.

Well, i still have problems after two additional patches (for Xen and
kernel). Logs are attached: add_to_physmap failed with -22 in both
xcbuild versions and bad p2m lookups and translation fault at level 2
in Xen..

As i understand from email it's better to use Cortex-A15x1 model, so i
will use this model for tests.

And i saw that Ian set up git repository for xen with latest patches
for ARM. So i'll try to use this repository.

Best regards,
Alexey Klimov.