Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal: Xen Test Days

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> at OSCON I had a couple of discussions regarding Fedora-like Xen Test Days.
> It may be a little bit late for this release putting all the documentation
> together (i.e. a TODO list of what we want to community and distros which
> consume Xen) to test to pull this off for this release cycle.
>
> But I wanted to raise this as possibility and maybe something to build into
> future release cycles.  If I look at http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.2 there
> is fairly little (or in fact almost nothing) we have in terms of how new
> functionality would be tested. My gut feel is that the biggest benefit of a
> Xen test Day for 4.2 may be in testing XL. There were some improvements last
> Monday, but I am not sure this is enough.
>
> If I look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days they have spent
> quite a bit of effort on this, and it would probably take one person a week
> or two full-time to pull this together. Also see,
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:Current
>
> I just wanted to put this out there to see whether we should try for this
> release cycle and gather views. It would require a volunteer to step up. If
> the view is that this is not doable for 4.2, this may be a good thing to
> either try for patch releases as well as maybe for Xen 4.3

I think for 4.2, the key thing we want to test is the xm -> xl
transition; and the instructions for that are really simple --
basically, "Do what you normally do using xl instead of xm". :-)
Secondary things we want tested involve just installing it on
different software setups (e.g., distros), and hardware testing.  But
I think those will come as a matter of course with the first one.

 -George