[Xen-devel] File system passthrough using v9fs?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jesper Dahl Nyerup <nyerup@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 16:01:38 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:02:30 +0000

Hi,

I need to deploy a bunch of VMs, that need data from NFS shares residing
on a network I don't trust my VMs to connect to directly.

What would it take for me to mount the shares on the hosts, and export
them to my VMs using v9fs, for instance?

In practice, only one of my VMs will access a portion of the NFS at a
time, and the host won't touch it at all, so I'm pretty confident that
the VMs' VFS caching and locking won't be an issue.

I understand that KVM can do v9fs exports using virtio and qemu[1], and
I was wondering if this was possible with Xen as well, as Xen also makes
use of qemu. Allegedly using virtio devices should theoretically be
possible for HVM guests, but I'm not sure if this has been implemented
in Xen's qemu.

I don't have a preference for v9fs at all, so any hints or insights to
similar solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Jesper.

[1]: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/9p_virtio