Re: [Xen-devel] LSI SAS2008 Option Rom Failure

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Do you have the necessary driver inside the guest? IIRC the default
>> > emulated NIC is the rtl8139.
>> >
>> > It looks like you've asked for EMU only so I'm not sure why you have got
>> > a vif interface, that might be a bug.
>> >
>> > You should also check that your domU kernel is not unplugging the
>> > emulated NIC -- there should be log messages to that effect if it is. I
>> > don't recall which guest kernel you have but you could try
>> > "xen_emul_unplug=never" on the command line.
>>
>> I believe I should have the driver, the test guest I am using is just
>> an Ubuntu 11.10 desktop live cd.  Which command line would I put
>> "xen_emul_unplug=never"? the guest's kernel boot line?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   Also I was
>> somewhat surprised to see xen messages in the guest's kernel dmesg
>> given that it is running HVM, unless it has somehow detected it is
>> running on top of Xen.
>
> Modern kernels have a feature called "PVHVM" which allows for PV
> features, such as device drivers, even for HVM guests. I don't know if
> 11.10 has that turned on / functional or not.

I took a closer look at the guests's dmesg output and indeed it says
"Booting paravirtualized kernel on Xen HVM"

>>   If there is an alternative vif line I should
>> use I'm happy to change it.
>
> You could try dropping the type=ioemu.

Gave this a try, still am seeing the vif interfaces on the host,
nothing in the guest.  Also I combed through the dmesg on the guest
and didn't see anything about any network interfaces, and nothing
about being plugged/unplugged either.  There is the following line in
my xen-hotplug.log, if it is relevant:

@xen:/var/log/xen$ sudo cat xen-hotplug.log
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported