Re: [Xen-devel] Xenstore restart

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 15:09 +0100, Shakeel Butt wrote:
> > The C xenstored has no mechanism for remembering the list of registered
> > watches over a restart. Things like the backend drivers in dom0 rely on
> > watches which are registered at start of day (with no way to reregister)
> > so if you restart xenstored then they stop working and you can't start
> > domains etc.
>
> Can't I just restart the backend drivers in dom0 after restarting xenstored. I
> haven't started any DomUs yet, So, restarting backend drivers should not be
> an issue.

That might help, if everything were sufficiently modular. However I
think there are some watches which are registered at start of day by
core code which cannot be unloaded/reloaded. I don't know if any of
those are critical though, the main ones which spring to mind are the
reboot control node (which isn't critical for dom0) and the core common
backend handler (which might be possibly modular but which I have a
feeling can't be made so in some kernels).