Re: [Xen-devel] compiling error "xen-unstable.hg"

>>> On 27.07.12 at 11:23, Yuriy Logvinov<hackroute@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  when i compiling xen-unstable.hg from
>> 'http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/xen-unstable.hg' or staging reps
>> i have an error
>>
>> sed: -e expression #6, symbol 111:command not finished `s'
>> make[2]: *** [include/xen/compile.h] error 1
>>
>> /xen-unstable.hg/xen/makefile:
>> # compile.h contains dynamic build info. Rebuilt on every 'make' invocation.
>> include/xen/compile.h: include/xen/compile.h.in .banner
>> @sed -e 's/@@date@@/$(shell LC_ALL=C date)/g' \
>> -e 's!@@compiler@@!$(shell $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -v 2>&1 | grep version |
>> tail -1)!g' \
>> -e 's!@@changeset@@!$(shell ((hg parents --template "{date|date}
>> {rev}:{node|short}" >/dev/null && hg parents --template "{date|date}
>> {rev}:{node|short}") || echo "unavailable") 2>/dev/null)!g' \
>> < include/xen/compile.h.in > $@.new
>>
>> i remove " | grep version"
>> and it fixed this error
>
> But that's certainly not the right fix. What output does
> "$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -v" produce for you? In particular, does it
> perhaps include any single quote character(s)?
>
>  Jan
>
> after remove grep version i get in compile.h:
> #define XEN_COMPILER        "gcc ÐÐÑÑÐÑ 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
> "
>
> what should i get in this identifier?
>  "gcc"? Or "4.6.3" or what?

The resulting string is correct, and the grep simply doesn't work
because you have a localized gcc. The addition of grep here was
done to support clang (see c/s 22985:d8ea33e7af7e, author
Cc-ed). It's not clear to me how to get around such translation
issues (Tim - could you explain what output clang generates that
made the use of grep necessary?), nor do I have a clue why the
sed invocation would complain about an unfinished command
(from what you provided I'd suppose that it would end up with
an empty replacement string, which ought to be fine).

Jan