Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4 serial hangs during boot

  • To: xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Christopher S. Aker" <caker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 13:48:13 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:48:46 +0000

On 10/13/11 6:46 AM, Tim Deegan wrote:
At 15:34 -0400 on 12 Oct (1318433686), Christopher S. Aker wrote:
Since I started playing with Xen 4 (vs 3.x), machines often hang during
reboot at exactly the same place:

We're still seeing this occasionally, even with 'cpuinfo' added to Xen args. Serial console stops responding during Xen booting - every time in the exact same place:

        (XEN) CPU9: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz stepping 05
        (XEN) CPU 10

The machine continues to boot and becomes available via network, however nothing I do from then on can get serial to start working again. Control-AAA, sending massive amounts to /dev/console, etc. If I issue the reboot command via dom0 something will tickle Xen and a page or two of buffered OLD data will flush out the serial before the machine reboots, which is interesting.

In this state hvc_console receives no interrupts. When not in this state hvc_console seems to get interrupts occasionally. Not sure of its significance.

I still have a box in this state if anyone has ideas to try.

-Chris