Re: [Xen-devel] [HYBRID]: status update...

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:44:05 +0100
Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 02:17 +0100, Mukesh Rathor wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Just a quick status update. I refreshed my trees and then debugged
> > as the code had changed a lot. I'm again few weeks behind from the
> > latest tree on both linux and xen. After the refresh, I ran into
> > few issues:
> >
> >    - xenstored is using gnttab interface that will not work for
> > hybrid For now I just disabled it.
>
> OOI what's the conflict?

If I recall correctly, the M2P was not setup yet. This will take lot more
digging in xl, which is changing fast, so I was hoping to punt it for
phase II. Meantime, I'm not sure how to pass hybrid flag to xenstored.
Any ideas?

> >    - libxl has changed a lot, so for now, I'm only supporting
> >           disk = ['phy:/dev/loop1,xvda,w']
>
> I'd have thought disk backend would be unrelated to hybrid, other than
> any backend which uses gnttab I guess (hrm, maybe that's all except
> for blkback.).
>
> [...]
> > Once I finish the changes for hyb_vcpu union, I should be able to
> > get things working again. Then I'll refresh the linux tree, keeping
> > xen the same, and test it all out and submit linux patch. After
> > that I'll refresh xen tree and keeping same linux, test it out, and
> > submit patch.
>
> We'd probably want to have both patches reviewed before accepting
> either, wouldn't we? We don't want to commit to an interface on one
> side before reviewing the other. (I'm not sure if you mean "submit"
> as in "RFC" or as in "please commit this").
>
> That needed necessarily mean they come through simultaneously though,
> although review of one might be limited without the other.

Yup, I'll post both. But one would be outdated. Refreshing both testing
all the combinations is costing me 4-6 weeks of debug and test. Code is
changing fast.

Lets get something basic working in, as long as it does not break non-hybrid.
Then we will keep adding and fixing things.

I've to be out of the office for the rest of the month, so unfortunately
I am not sure if I'll have all patches submitted before the summit like
I was hoping.

thanks,
Mukesh