Re: [Xen-devel] Handling of out of memory conditions

On 06/22/12 15:21, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> > How about having the guest kernel (e.g. every time it is about to BUG())
>> > write the cause of the Xen-related runtime errors (such as out of memory
>> > conditions) to some predefined xenstore key, which would allow the
>> > management tools/whatever other software to retrieve that easily and
>> > display a meaningful message to the user? Hm... access to the xenstore
>> > might not be easy at the early VM boot stage -- so perhaps writing it
>> > into some predefined shared page, that could be easily read by the
>> > toolstack?
> That's the console shared page, isn't it?

Yeah, but parsing and interpreting the console output is problematic --
e.g. how should an automatic tool know from the oops message I quoted in
my first message, that the reason for not starting the VM was just an
out of memory? I'm thinking about some simple form of Xen-related
runtime error reporting (this would be mostly out of memory), that would
be easily parse'able by scripts. Again, the goal is display a simple
error message to the user, explaining why his or her VM doesn't start.

joanna.