Re: [Xen-devel] Pv_ops Dom0 crash on IBM eServer x3400

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alex Moskalenko <mav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 01:11:47 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 21:12:25 +0000

08.06.2012 15:47, Jan Beulich ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On 08.06.12 at 12:19, Alex Moskalenko<mav@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
08.06.2012 11:43, Jan Beulich ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On 07.06.12 at 11:29, Alex Moskalenko<mav@xxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
I ran into a trouble when trying to run Xen 4.1.x with pv_ops kernel on
IBM eServer x3400. Without noacpi command line option dom0 kernel
crashes on ACPI initialization. Kermels 2.6.32 (with konrad xen
patches), 3.1, 3.3, Xen 4.1.2 behave the same way. Without hypervisor
all kernels run without any problems.
This is an issue that was reported and discussed previously.
Fundamentally, it is a firmware problem from my pov: ACPI has
_nothing_ to do with the MMIO space used for the IO-APICs of
the system once they are under control of the OS. It shouldn't
even be reading from them (which iirc was the case in earlier
reports), but in your case it looks like it's even writing them. I
had been considering to allow Dom0 read access to those pages,
but obviously this wouldn't help in your case.

Could you extract and supply the ACPI tables of that system, so
we can make an attempt at checking whether there is some reason
for the firmware writing to the IO-APIC that we didn't think of so
far?
Please see attached archive. Tables are grabbed with acpidump -b under
Xen 4.1.2 and patched kernel 2.6.32.
_SB.PCI0._CRS has

                 Store (0x2E, IDX)
                 And (0xFFFEFFFF, WND, WND)

with

     OperationRegion (Z00D, SystemMemory, 0xFEC80000, 0x0100)
     Field (Z00D, DWordAcc, Lock, Preserve)
     {
         IDX,    32,
                 Offset (0x10),
         WND,    32
     }

so what the BIOS tries to do is unmask pin 15 of the second
IO-APIC. To me this makes no sense at all (and is definitely
impossible to be sync-ed properly with any OSes accesses to
the IO-APIC registers), but could you nevertheless boot a
native kernel with "apic=debug" and post the full set of boot
messages (the dumps of the IO-APICs being what I'm really
after). Alternatively, "apic_verbosity=debug" passed to Xen
or sending the 'z' debug key would produce similar information.

Thank you for our answer, Jan!

I attached full dmesg output of kernel 3.3.8.

Also I removed the 'Store' and 'And' statements from DSDT and compiled it. When altered DSDT is loaded with grub, kernel 3.3.8 boots successfully (good!). But with hypervisor boot process hangs at loading aacraid module (last message is about setting up IRQ). Aacraid module loads without any problem on bare hardware. Kernel 2.6.32 boots successfully and loads all modules. I think this issue is not related to patched DSDT, but I'm not sure.

--
WBR, Alex Moskalenko