Re: [Xen-devel] Proposals/changes for a new Wiki Front-Page - need input/mods/creative proposals

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 18:54, Ian Jackson wrote:
>>
>> Lars Kurth writes ("[Xen-devel] Proposals/changes for a new Wiki
>> Front-Page - need input/mods/creative proposals"):
>>>
>>> - http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Proposals/Main_Page1 : a more use-case
>>> focussed
>>> front-page
>>
>> This one is already much better than the existing front page.  I have
>> made some more changes.
>
> Great!

I agree it's much better. Since the main categories are "help with
xen" and "help with xcp" it would be nice if there were a few lines at
the top of the page explaining which is which, so (new) people can
have a better idea of where to look. The descriptions from
http://xen.org/products/ and a link to
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_/_XCP_/_XCP_on_Linux_Overview would work.
The latter is already linked in the "getting started with xen" column
but would be better off at the top since it gives a feature table of
both.

>> The links under "Xen Docs" are rather poor.  I don't know what pages
>> we have that would do better, but the top link being the Wiki category
>> listing is quite unhelpful.
>
> Would a ...
> 1) link to http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.x_Manuals instead of
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Category:Manual be better?
> 2) We could move http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Beginners_Guide one up - it is
> a step-by-step tutorial to set up Xen 4 with Squeeze
>
> Part of the problem is that there is a lot of stuff and it is hard to choose
> what is relevant

As someone who started with Xen not long ago, I much prefer dedicated
link pages over Category: pages. The latter just give a big unsorted
(alphabetical doesn't count, needs to be sorted by subtopic to be a
useful sort) list of pages of widely varying scope and usefulness.
It's better than nothing, sure, but a page that sorts them by topic or
purpose or something (much like this proposed front page really) is a
lot better.