Re: [Xen-devel] [linux-mingo-tip-master test] 12632: tolerable FAIL - PUSHED

Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [linux-mingo-tip-master test] 12632:
tolerable FAIL - PUSHED"):
> At least some of these xen-boot failures (I looked at
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~xensrcts/logs/12632/test-amd64-amd64-xl-win7-amd64/serial-itch-mite.log)
>  have missing firmware:
>
> Apr 10 13:57:11.884530 [   28.946844] bnx2: Can't load firmware file
> "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"

Thanks for looking into this.

> That'll be because the new kernel needs something newer than what is
> provided by Squeeze's linux-firmware* packages. I usually set
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL to avoid this (mostly, sometimes they forget
> to even include the firmware update, which happened once recently with
> bnx2 IIRC, so watch out for that):

Hrmf.  At least I guess that'll be a real regression upstream if that
happens.  I have submitted a change to set CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL.

> The other option, as noted below, is to run "make firmware_install".

That's less appealing because of the need to mess around more with
initrds and build scripts.