Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s!

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 16:43 +0100, Andres Lagar-Cavilla wrote:
> Ian,
>
> I came across the subject line on a 96GB server with over 85 VMs running.
> Completely frozen and unresponsive, qemu-dm processes hung on event
> channels. I'm using the XenServer 6.0 dom0 kernel on top of the
> xen-unstable tip hypervisor.
>
> I believe you solved the issue backporting some event channel patches to
> the 2.6.32 kernel, as described in this thread
>
> I am missing a bit of context in order to retrieve the patches and apply
> them to my setup. What trees are involved here?

This was a backport to a 2.6.32 pvops kernel. The Debian Squeeze kernel
is a snapshot from Jeremy's xen.git at some point in the past.
drivers/xen/events.c is pretty different to the classic-Xen kernels like
XenServers.

>  I'm looking in particular
> for "multiple fixes to PIRQ event channel handling" and friends, but I
> don't have commit identifiers, nor a tree URL (neither I am too sure what
> changesets from which upstream tree do the backports aggregate).

I think the pirq stuff was because the aforementioned snapshot happened
to be taken in the middle of a transition in how pirqs were handled, so
I was back porting the remainder.

Anyway, if you want them you  can find them in the Debian source
package, they are listed in debian/patches/series/40-extra, the paths
there are relative to debian/patches.

Also, I think (but I'm not 100% sure any more) that these patches
correspond to this branch in my xenbits tree:

  git://xenbits.xen.org/people/ianc/linux-2.6.git debian/squeeze/evtchn

Ian