[Xen-devel] Basic blktap2 functionality issues.

Hi, hope the day is going well for everyone.

I had posted a note about this issue two weeks ago and didn't get any
response.  I don't know if that indicates that people are not using
blktap or if the question stumped everyone.

First of all there is a documentable issue with blktap in 4.1.2 and
xl.  Anyone trying to use it to export files to a guest will be
affected.  Using xl to do 'block-attach' and 'block-detach' in dom0
also doesn't work in stock 4.1.2 so I suspect there are generic issues
with blktap and xl.

In stock 4.1.2 using xl results in the tapdisk2 server process being
orphaned.  There is a patch floating around from Ian Campbell which
fixes this problem and either creates or uncovers what may be a more
fundamental problem.

With Ian's patch applied the tapdisk2 process terminates but the
tapdisk device is not released resulting in a steady accumulation of
orphan minor numbers.  The underlying cause of this appears to be a
resource deadlock between xl requesting a detach of the VBD and the
tapdisk2 process.

Ian actually acknowledges the phenomenon in one of his posts saying
there appeared to be a 'hang' when the VBD is released with his
patches.  The 'hang' is actually a livelock where the entire kernel
blocks until the select call from xl to the tapdisk2 process times out
and rescues things.  The error return from the select call is what
causes the xl code to not complete the release of the tapdisk minor.

I'm still hunting through the code maze trying to find the underlying
problem.  The tapdisk2 process is hanging on the munmap of the ring
buffers.  It 'feels' as if the problem may be secondary to xl still
holding a reference to some resource which blocks the unmap of the
ring buffers.

I will continue to hunt but if anyone has any pointers send them my
way.  It takes a bit of time to come up to speed on all the code
paths.

In a broader context I think the XEN community needs to take a
reasoned look at how to handle the file issue.  It appears as if Dan
Stodden has disappeared so I get the sense the entire blktap2
architecture is a bit rudderless (no judgement just observation).  I'm
trying to put my money where my mouth is and actually hunt for the
problems which are there.

I've seen rumbles on LKML about discussions with regards to
modifications to loop in order to deal with the page cache issues
which hinder the reliability of delivering virtual block devices over
loop.  I don't know how far out that is or even if it will eventuate.
I've also heard rumbles about a mythical 'blktap3' which runs
completely in userspace.  If that is the direction things are going I
would certainly be willing to hammer on that rather then put more time
into blktap2 if there is 'blktap3' code someplace.

I will look forward to any comments or suggestions people may have.

Have a good weekend.

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND  58102            development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"My thoughts on trusting Open-Source?  A quote I once saw said it
 best: 'Remember, Amateurs built the ark.  Professionals built the
 Titanic.'  Perhaps most significantly the ark was one guy, there were
 no doubt committees involved with the Titanic project."
                                -- Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                                   Resurrection