[Xen-devel] Is shadow 2 mechanism supported in Xen 3.1?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: peng yang <peterpy8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:35:56 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:41:50 +0000

Hi, guys. I want to ask some questions about shadow pagetables mechanism.

Recently I am developing a task manager for Windows XP in HVM DomU. For convenience, I use some code from ether(http://ether.gtisc.gatech.edu/) which based on Xen 3.1. From the xen blog (http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2008/08/27/xen-33-feature-shadow-3), I find that there are three different mechanisms for shadow pagetables.

I wonder if shadow 2 is supported in Xen 3.1.

This is important because only shadow 2 emulated every write to guest pagetables. If so, I can count the exact number of pages belong to a process and calculate the memory usage of every process.

Besides, I wonder once this counting number drops to zero, can I absolutely assume that the process exits.

Thanks.