Re: [Xen-devel] Desktop Environment/GUI Cannot Start After I Have Installed Xen 4.1.3-rc1-pre and Linux Kernel 3.3.0-rc7

Stefan,

We are developing a pvops kernel based off of the Ubuntu 12.04 3.2.x
kernel, with some merges from Konrad's development trees, along with
some other patches.

My full config is attached.

We are running on a wide variety of hardware - both nVidia (as long as
you use nouveau) - and Intel.

We have CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU set to "y"
(this used to be DMAR)

The guys at Intel recommended this be turned on, when we were seeing
very similar crashes.

Without rehashing our entire email train - the executive summary is:
<snip>
The major problem is related to CONFIG_DMAR_TABLE, which if not set
i915 driver uses virt_to_phys for address translation which is not Xen
aware. You can have a check whether it’s the same case in your
environment:

CONFIG_DMAR_TABLE=y
CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU=y
# CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON is not set

 there’s some renaming happened recently from CONFIG_DMAR to
CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU, which you can also check with your earlier
.config.
</snip>

Hope this is helpful

Ben Guthro