Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-API] GSoC 2012 project brainstorming

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 17:55 +0000, Dave Scott wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
> > I've just added a proposal for "xl to xapi offline VM migration
> > utility". I know the xl side well and I'm reasonably familiar with
> > XenAPI etc but it would be really useful to have a co-/backup-mentor
> > from the xen-api@ side of things.
>
> I could be a co-/backup-mentor for that.

Excellent, thanks!

> I've been busy recently moving all the domain management parts of xapi
> into a separate daemon, which later can be libxl'ed up. For testing
> (and for fun) I've made it understand some of xm/xl config file syntax eg

Interesting. Pure ocaml I presume?

> [root@st20 ~]# xn export-metadata-xm win7 win7.xm

xn? We're going to run out of letters soon ;-)

Do you handle import as well as export? One of the more interesting use
cases (I think) is handling folks who want to migrate from an xm/xl
based setup to a xapi setup (e.g. by installing Kronos on their existing
Debian system). That's was the primary aim of the proposed project.

> [root@st20 ~]# cat win7.xm
> name='win7'
> builder='hvmloader'
> boot='dc'
> vcpus=1
> memory=2048
> disk=[ 'sm:7af570d8-f8c5-4103-ac1d-969fe28bfc11,hda,w',
> 'sm:137c8a61-113c-ab46-20fa-5c0574eaff77,hdb:cdrom,r' ]

Half-assed wondering -- I wonder if sm: (or script=sm or similar)
support could work in xl...

> vif=[  ]
> pci=[  ]
> pci_msitranslate=1
> pci_power_mgmt=0
> # transient=true
>
> Another goal of the refactoring is to allow xapi to co-exist with domains
> created by someone else (e.g. xl/libxl). This should allow a migration to
> be done piecemeal, one VM at a time on the same host.

The brainstoming list below includes "make xapi use libxl". Is this (or
a subset of this) the sort of thing which could be done by a GSoC
student?

I suppose it is only fair that I offer to be co-/backup-mentor to a main
mentor from the xapi side of things for such a project...

Ian.