Re: [Xen-devel] Accessing Dom0 Physical memory from xen, via direct mappings (PML4:262-271)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Tim Deegan <tim@xxxxxxx> wrote:
At 09:32 -0700 on 13 Mar (1331631148), Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:
> Yep. I am aware of the above issues. As far as contiguity is concerned,
> I was hoping (*naively/lazily*) that if I allocate a huge chunk (1G or so)
> using posix_memalign, it would start at page boundary and also be contiguous
> *most* of the time.

I think you're playing with fire -- you have no way of knowing whether
you were lucky enough to get a contiguous region and if not you'll
silently corrupt memory _and_ pollute your results.

> Well, the buffer acts as a huge log dirty "byte" map (a byte per word).
> I am skipping the reason for doing this huge byte map, for the sake of
> brevity.
>
> Can I have xen allocate this huge buffer ? (a byte per 8-byte word means
> about
> 128M for a 1G guest). And if I were to have this byte-map per-vcpu, it
> would mean
> 512M worth of RAM, for a 4-vcpu guest.
>
> Is there a way I could increase the xen heap size to be able to allocate
> this much memory?

IIRC on x64 xen heap is the same as domheap so it already includes all
free space.  Or you could pick a 1GB region at boot time, make sure it
doesn't get given to the memory allocators, and then mark it all as
owned by dom0 in the frametable.

xen heap seems to be the same domheap. however, when I try to allocate
more than 128MB of memory, it punts!
 I am using the alloc_xenheap_pages(order, 0).
Am I missing something here ?

I am not sure if Andres' XENMEM_exchange mechanism allows >128MB.
I think going for a boot time allocation seems to be the only way, if I want
a huge region like 1GB.

> And how do I map the xen memory in dom0 ? I vaguely remember seeing similar
> code in
> xentrace, but if you could point me in the right direction, it would be
> great.

I don't recall the details, but xentrace isn't that big.  If I were
doing it, I'd use share_xen_pages_with_guest() or similar to allow dom0
to see it, and then map it with ordinary mapping hypercalls.

Tim.