Re: [Xen-devel] Nested SVM

On 03/13/12 12:56, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 11:40 +0000, Christoph Egger wrote:
On 03/12/12 13:11, Ian Campbell wrote:
        * Nested-virtualisation (currently should be marked experimental,
          likely to release that way? Consider nested-svm separate to
          nested-vmx. Nested-svm is in better shape)

I tested the following scenarios:

- Linux on Xen on Xen
- NetBSD on Xen on Xen
- KVM (+ KVM-guest) on Xen
- KVM (+ KVM-guest) on Xen on Xen (yeah, l3 guest works!)
- Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit) on Xen on Xen
- Win7 XP mode on Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit) on Xen
- Hyper-V (64bit) on Xen
- VMware ESX (64bit) on Xen

Wow, that's far more combinations than I expected.

I wonder where we can document this, is there a nested-HVM page on the
wiki perhaps?

Issues:
- Hyper-V SMP not tested, only UP
- Win7 XP mode often quits with BSOD,

Hrm, this one sounds quite important? I expect Win7 XP mode is the
primary real world use case for Nested-HVM?

yes, but I have no idea what might be wrong.

but when it boots playing Solitair makes fun :-)

;-)

Playing Solitair gives a good impression on the end-user feeling
in how fast it response. It is also a good test case if interrupts
come in fast enough. If that is not the case a double click is
interpreted as two single clicks.

Playing Solitair in Win7 XP mode runs even faster than in Win7
thus makes more fun to play in Win7 XP mode.

- L2 guest screen doesn't refresh in graphical mode
    (VGA text mode works),
    workaround: dis- and re-establish the VNC connection,
    between two VNC reconnects you can work like with your
    monitor powered off

Uh, that also sounds pretty critical. Does it also effect the Win7 XP
mode usecase?

No, because in the Win7 XP mode usecase the graphic output is done by
the L1 guest (Windows 7) and that works. This problem only occurs when
the L2 guest runs in graphic mode.

I think, this issue is neither AMD nor Intel specific.
I think, this has something to do with the non-buffered io mode.
IIRC, VGA text mode uses a buffered io mode.

Between those two issues I think removing the experimental tag sounds
premature?

Yes.

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH