Re: [Xen-devel] 4.2 TODO update

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 13:51 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 12:11 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >> tools, nice to have:
> >>       * Hotplug script stuff -- internal to libxl (I think, therefore I
> >>         didn't put this under stable API above) but still good to have
> >>         for 4.2? (Roger Pau MonnÃ, patches posted)
> >>       * Block script support -- follows on from hotplug script (Roger
> >>         Pau MonnÃ)
> >
> > Any opinions on whether this, and in particular the block script bits,
> > should be blockers for 4.2?
> >
> > I don't use block-script functionality myself so I'm not sure how
> > critical it is.
> >
> > I guess there is always the workaround of doing whatever the script
> > would do outside of xl which is why I think (IIRC) I initially put it
> > under nice to have.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> If it's this feature that you referred to when discussing the "xl
> block-attach 0 ..." shortcomings (including the blkback-over-loop
> that's currently unavailable with xl), then count this as a "+1"
> for this being a blocker - if we want 4.2 to push forward the
> deprecation status of xend, then (known) regressions like this
> should get eliminated.

I actually included the specific use case of block-attach vs qdisk on
the TODO in its own right and separately the handling of file:// too --
it turns out that loopback may not be the best answer (see Joseph
Glanville's posts about loop and AIO/O_DIRECT) so block script may not
actually be all that helpful there.