[Xen-devel] Xen Unstable 4.2 Wheezy Compile Problems

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Casey DeLorme <cdelorme@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:58:24 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:59:16 +0000

Hello,

My name is Casey and I am an IT student experimenting with Xen.  I started testing it about a month ago, and have really learned a lot so far, but I'm hitting a wall trying to compile Xen from source.

I am running Debian Wheezy Linux Kernel 3.2.9, with 12GB of RAM.  The two things I have the least experience with are checking dependencies and reading make file output.

Situation #1:

I was able to compile the linux kernel with pciback built-in, and have been able to install Windows 7 and have it recognize the GTX 460 in Windows Device Manager.  I installed the drivers too, but get a Code 43.  There are patches, and though they are listed as XP only, I wanted to get them a try.

Situation #2:

As a separate test I installed Wheezy without a bootloader, manually booted, and was able to get a pure EFI booting system.  I can install Xen and boot to it, but xm dmesg says I only have 511MB of memory.  Fortunately I am not the first to encounter this, and someone posted a patch that I wanted to try:
http://serverfault.com/questions/342109/xen-only-sees-512mb-of-system-ram-should-be-8gb-uefi-boot

Problem Overview:

So, I set out to compile Xen from source where I will be able to apply the patch for EFI and attempt the nVidia patch files as well.

While I do want to compile Xen with modifications, I would like to make a .deb file so I can install the modified Xen on a clean system without 4GB of dependencies.  So I installed a fresh non-EFI linux and cloned Xen Unstable (for the latest nVidia patches):

hg clone http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/xen-unstable.hg

I reviewed the readme and build a list of dependencies to install.  I was able to run ./configure without any problems.

However, when I try running make world, I run into a world of trouble.  I haven't been able to get it to work, I have tried everything I could find.

My dependency list now looks like this:

aptitude install bridge-utils mercurial gcc make binutils zlib1g-dev python-dev libncurses5-dev openssl xorg-dev uuid-dev libyajl-dev libaio-dev libglib2.0-dev pkg-config iproute udev bison flex gettext bcc bin86 iasl markdown autotools-dev fakeroot dh-make build-essential libcurl4-openssl-dev python texinfo texi2html pciutils-dev bzip2 checkinstall autoconf debhelper debconf-utils docbook-xml docbook-xsl dpatch xsltproc seabios gcc-multilib libelf-dev

aptitude build-dep xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64

Error #1:

Apparently seabios doesn't exist during the make clean process, I was able to fix it with a modification to tools/Rules.mk per these instructions:
http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/Initial-make-clean-fails-td5548661.html

Error #2:

This error has me stumped, and I haven't been able to find anything about it:

In file included from xc_core.c:69:0:
xc_core.h:26:35: fatal error: xen/libelf/elfstructs.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[4]: *** [xc_core.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/cdelorme/xen-unstable.hg/stubdom/libxc-x86_64'
make[3]: *** [build] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/cdelorme/xen-unstable.hg/stubdom/libxc-x86_64'
make[2]: *** [libxc-x86_64/libxenctrl.a] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/cdelorme/xen-unstable.hg/stubdom'
make[1]: *** [install-stubdom] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cdelorme/xen-unstable.hg'
make: *** [world] Error 2

I also tried Xen 4.1.2 source, and I was able to run make world, but make install fails with a "clean" code 2 error.

So I would like to ask the following questions:

Does anyone have any tips for reading make file errors?

Is there some documentation for compiling the latest Xen with Wheezy?

Does anyone know the cause of Error #2?

Has anyone done this before, and if so what other errors should I prepare for?

I thank you for your time and look forward to any replies.

~Casey DeLorme