Re: [Xen-devel] Preventing hotplug devices in HVM guests

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 01:32 +0000, Matthew Hook wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> Is there a way to prevent Windows HVM guests from seeing passed
> through devices like graphics cards as being ejectable?
> i.e. you pass through a graphics adapter to an HVM guest which happens
> to be Windows.  Windows sees this as a device with hotplug capability.
> Therefore it shows up in "safely remove hardware" option in the
> windows system tray.
>

> VMWare provides an option to turn that off.
> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225
>

> I don't seem an option of this in Xen 4.2 yet.  How can I override
> this behavior in Xen?

A total stab in the dark but perhaps you need to fiddle with the ACPI
tables? Not sure but maybe in tools/firmware/hvmloader/acpi/mk_dsdt.c
where the PCI slots are defined? In particular the _STA and _EJ0 methods
seems to imply hotplug support to me. I'm afraid you'd probably need to
read the ACPI spec to be sure of their meaning though :-(