Re: [Xen-devel] Core parking feature enable

>>> On 29.02.12 at 13:41, "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Liu, Jinsong wrote:

>>> Actually, after some more thought, I don't even think this ought to
>>> be implemented in the Dom0 kernel, but in user space altogether.
>>> Afaict all information necessary is already being exposed.
>>>

>> No, user space lack necessary information. If I didn't misunderstand,
>> it has some dom0-side dependencies not ready now, like
>> 1. sysfs interface, and exposing xen pcpu topology and maps;
>> 2. intecept pad notify and call usermodehelper;
>> 3. a daemon to monitor/policy core parking (daemon enable when linux
>> run as pvops under xen (kernel acpi_pad disable now), daemon disable
>> when linux run under baremetal (kernel acpi_pad enable now))
>>
>> Seems keep same approach as native kernel which handle acpi_pad in
>> kernel side (for us, in hypervisor side) is a reasonable choice. Per
>> my understanding core parking is a co-work part of NPTM, the whole
>> process is basically a remote controller-microengine-bios-kernel
>> process, not necessarily involve user action.
>>

> Any comments?

No - I continue to disagree that this needs to be done outside of
user space (the fact that certain necessary kernel pieces aren't in
pv-ops is no excuse, nor is it that native does this in the kernel -
that would at most allow for implementing it in the kernel, but still
won't justify doing it in the hypervisor).

Jan