Von: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Konrad Rzeszutek
Wilk
Gesendet: Montag, 23. Januar 2012 23:32
An: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Cc: Sander Eikelenboom; xen-devel; Jan Beulich
Betreff: Re: [Xen-devel] Load increase after memory upgrade (part2)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:29:23AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > > The issue as I understand is that the DVB drivers allocate their
> > > buffers from 0->4GB most (all the time?) so they never have to do
> > > bounce-buffering.
> > >
> > > While the pv-ops one ends up quite frequently doing the
> > > bounce-buffering, which implies that the DVB drivers end up
> > > allocating their buffers above the 4GB.
> > > This means we end up spending some CPU time (in the guest) copying
> > > the memory from >4GB to 0-4GB region (And vice-versa).
> >
> > This reminds me of something (not sure what XenoLinux you use for
> > comparison) - how are they allocating that memory? Not vmalloc_32()
>
> I was using the 2.6.18, then the one I saw on Google for Gentoo, and
> now I am going to look at the 2.6.38 from OpenSuSE.
>
> > by chance (I remember having seen numerous uses under - iirc -
> > drivers/media/)?
> >
> > Obviously, vmalloc_32() and any GFP_DMA32 allocations do *not* do
> > what their (driver) callers might expect in a PV guest (including
> > the contiguity assumption for the latter, recalling that you earlier
> > said you were able to see the problem after several guest starts),
> > and I had put into our kernels an adjustment to make vmalloc_32()
> > actually behave as expected.
>
> Aaah.. The plot thickens! Let me look in the sources! Thanks for the
> pointer.

Jan hints lead me to the videobuf-dma-sg.c which does indeed to vmalloc_32 and
then performs PCI DMA operations on the allocted vmalloc_32 area.

So I cobbled up the attached patch (hadn't actually tested it and sadly won't
until next week) which removes the call to vmalloc_32 and instead sets up DMA
allocated set of pages.

If that fixes it for you that is awesome, but if it breaks please send me your
logs.

Cheers,
Konrad