Re: [Xen-devel] After switching from "xm" to "xl" toolstack, can't get Guest networking to work.

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 15:56 +0000, erin.balid@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Ian.
>
> > Does "ifconfig -a" in dom0 show a vifX.Y device for the domain? You
> > previous xenstore log
> > suggests it should be there but lets double check.
>
> edit /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
>       #!/bin/bash
> +       exec 1>>/tmp/hotplog.log
> +       exec 2>&1
> +       echo "`date`: Running $0 $*"
>
> xl create test.cfg
>

> ifconfig -a
> brINT     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:52:35:11:26:3B

brINT is not the name you've been quoting before (which was br0). Are
you running these tests on a variety of different systems with different
configurations?

It would be really helpful for those of us trying to help you if you
could use the same system with the same setup (modulo requested changes)
for the entirety of this conversation. Otherwise it becomes rather hard
for us to correlate the facts.

In this case I now have to ask if you are sure that you used the
appropriate "bridge=brINT" in your guest configuration instead of
"bridge=br0" which you had before.

[...]
> vif7.0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

Good that this exists.

> > Do you get anything in the logs under /var/log/xen?
>
> Just this after the Guest launches.  It looks a bit suspect maybe?
>
> cat /var/log/xen/*log
>  domid: 7
>  Warning: vlan 0 is not connected to host network
>  -videoram option does not work with cirrus vga device model. Videoram
>  set to 4M.
>
> /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/xen-4.1.2-testing/tools/ioemu-dir/hw/xen_blktap.c:704:
>  Init blktap pipes
>  Could not open /var/run/tap/qemu-read-7
>  char device redirected to /dev/pts/1
>  xs_read(): target get error. /local/domain/7/target.
>  xs_read(): vncpasswd get error.
>  /vm/22eef8a2-7b68-4bb6-a69f-632d20db0d84/vncpasswd.
>  Waiting for domain test (domid 7) to die [pid 28807]

These are the logs for the qemu process which is serving as your vfb
backend. These all look reasonably normal (in the sense that all this
pointless noise is normal).

> > Are your hotplug scripts running at all? ...
>
> cat /tmp/hotplog.log
>  Tue Jan 24 07:23:49 PST 2012: Running /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
>  online type_if=vif
>  Tue Jan 24 07:23:49 PST 2012: Running /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
>  online

So the hotplug script is running without any apparent error, at least
not one that was logged.

At this point I'm afraid my only suggesting is to drop "echo made it to
XXX" breadcrumbs throughout the script and try to narrow down to the
line which exits.

You could also perhaps run "udevadm monitor" in another window while
starting the guest, so wee can see what events you are actually seeing.

[...]
> cat /var/log/xeb/console/*
>  cat: /var/log/xeb/console/*: No such file or directory

Obviously a typo, but there's probably not too much of interest in the
guest console logs.