Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] KEXEC: allocate crash note buffers at boot time

>>> On 29.11.11 at 19:56, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As I have little to no knowledge of this stage of the boot process, is
> this a sensible way to be setting up the per_cpu areas?  I have a
> sneaking suspicion that it will fall over if a CPU is onlined after
> boot, and may also fall over if a CPU is offlined and reonlined later.
> There appears to be no infrastructure currently in place for this type
> of initialization, which is quite possibly why the code exists in its
> current form.

I actually wonder how you came to those 4 statements you make in
the description - none of these seem to me like they are really an
issue (this would instead be plain bugs in Dom0). Did you actually look
at the existing Dom0 implementation(s)?

Further, while not being a huge waste of memory, it still is one in case
kexec gets never enabled, especially when considering a Dom0 kernel
that's being built without CONFIG_KEXEC (or an incapable on, like any
pv-ops kernel to date). So I also conceptually question that change.

Jan