Re: [Xen-devel] HTML in wikitext

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Ian Jackson - Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> xen-devel.GarveyPatrickD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes ("[Xen-devel] HTML in
> wikitext"):
>> According to
>> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Help:HTML_in_wikitext#Permitted_HTML
>> <abbr title="abbreviation">abbr.</abbr> should be parsed as HTML by
>> the wiki server.
>
> That text refers to Wikipedia, not to the Xen Wiki.

I understood that the wikimedia.org page was documentation of their
implementation of MediaWiki server software.  I guess I should have
said, "... can be parsed ...", as a request to whomever implemented
the MediaWiki server to look into turning on that feature.  I've found
it useful to the understanding by first time readers of the local
TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms).

>> According to my experiment,
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/User:GarveyPatrickD/Abbreviations
>> the Xen wiki doesn't seem to have this feature enabled.
>
> That is correct.  We don't plan to enable it.

As part of my newness here, I'm trying to understand the tools and
their implementations chosen by the project leaders.  Was there a
discussion of the choice not to implement this extension to MediaWiki
that I can study?  I've tried to use http://xen.markmail.org to find
such a discussion, but there seems to only be an announcement that
MoinMoin is being migrated to MediaWiki.

I can imagine the focus of the migration was getting the MediaWiki
server functioning without a lot of extensions or special options
enabled.

As I noted above, I've found it easier to read wiki pages that allow
me to hover over the TLA's for their expansion when I'm reading for my
initial entrance to the project.

> Ian.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my posting,
Patrick.