Re: [Xen-devel] VM hangs during boot on 3.0.4 dom0 kernel, works on alternative hardware

On 06/09/2011 17:16, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 11:31:16AM +0100, Anthony Wright wrote:
>> I have two machines with identical Dom0's and DomUs, but different
>> hardware. The Dom0 has a patch which I produced myself based on the "Re:
>> [Xen-devel] Kernel bug from 3.0 (was phy disks and vifs timing out in
>> DomU)" thread. The patch calls vmalloc_sync_all after every
>> alloc_vm_area, and I realise this isn't the best solution, but it
>> allowed me to move forward.
> <nods>
>> The patch fixes the problem I had on one machine, so that now the VMs
>> boot correctly, but I have another system with an identical setup
>> (identical Dom0 & DomU kernels, identical startup for DomU) and the VM
>> fails to start. I have attached a copy of the console log from the good
>> VM and the bad VM.
> And what does the dom0 and xen hypervisor log give you?
>
> It looks to be hanging at identifying the CPU - is the hardware
> quite different from one setup to another? Have you toyed with
> using the cpuid flag in the guest to mimic the lowest CPU type?
I've found a solution to my problem. The PV DomU was running a 32 bit
linux kernel version 2.6.30.1. I hoped that a new kernel would be able
to handle to CPU more effectively, and so I upgraded my DomU kernel to
3.0.4, and now the DomU boots.

This solves the problem for me, but I'm slightly concerned that my
original kernel wouldn't work with this CPU (the CPU type for the kernel
builds is set to Pentium Pro). I'll try the 2.6.30.1 kernel on bare
metal on monday to try to see if this is a xen/Dom0 kernel issue or a
CPU/DomU issue.

Anthony