Re: [Xen-devel] computer stalls instead of reboot

On 09/09/2011 00:15, Sven Köhler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still seeing a very strange issue here. First, let's clarify that
> the issue has never occurred with the good old xen 3.x and the good old
> 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> So the issue is, that with xen 4.x (including 4.1.1) pretty much any
> kernel (including kernel from [1] and vanilla 3.0.0, didn't test the
> 2.6.18), the machine freezes during a reboot. The machine won't come up
> again, not even the BIOS screen will show.
>
> It doesn't happen when running the kernel on bare metal. Also the fact
> that it doesn't happen with xen 3.x + 2.6.18 might meen, that this is a
> regression of some sort.
>
> This issue has prevented my move from xen 3.x to xen 4.x for many years
> now. I already asked about this issue, and nobody replied. So I hoped,
> that the kernel from kernel.org would solve this, once that pvops dom0
> enabled kernels were available. Well, it didn't. I'm still stuck with
> this issue. Every time I want to reboot my machine, I have to call my
> hosting company to reboot the server.
>
> It's a MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) motherboard, equipped with Intel Core i7
> 920 and an nvidia graphics card.
>
> Did anybody ever experience a similar issue?
> Does anybody have any suggestions how to continue?
>
> This seems to be a very weired issue, and even pushing the computers
> reset button doesn't seem to help. (It's a remote machine, and I can
> remotely push the reset button).

Does your "remote" method involve actually pushing the reset button, and
does this method actually work under normal circumstances?

As for the problem itself, do you have C states enabled in the BIOS?
This sounds similar to several errata published for the i7 series.

~Andrew