Re: [Xen-devel] struct irq_desc vs. struct irq_cfg

On 06/09/11 15:34, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Originally, iirc, struct irq_desc's chip_data pointer was intended to be set
> something specific to the struct hw_interrupt_type instance that's being
> put into its handler pointer. Currently, however, struct irq_cfg is being
> used universally (and carries data that is also intended to be available) for
> all interrupt types. Wouldn't it make sense to move global data back into
> struct irq_desc, or should we rather introduce a second pointer (e.g.
> handler_data) in struct irq_desc to allow handler specific context to be
> stored?

I believe I asked this question in my long email about the direction of
irq cleanup (and if not, I certainly intended to)

As the inequality irq_desc[irq].chip-data == irq_cfg[irq] is maintained
at all times, merging the two would make sense, as well as removing many
needless indirections, and nr_irqs pointers.

Therefore, I vote to merge the two.

What were you considering to contain in the handler specific context?

> Thanks, Jan

Andrew Cooper - Dom0 Kernel Engineer, Citrix XenServer
T: +44 (0)1223 225 900, http://www.citrix.com