Re: [Xen-devel] GPU passthrough

Don't forget to CC the mailing list (reply all).

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:14, Greg Shieh <greg.shieh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I am using GPU for graphic demo purpose.
>
> My kernel is 2.6.32.12, I am running Suse 11.3. I only can run PV since
> there is no HVM option for me when creating VM.

Hm, I've only noticed the opposite, where a Linux distribution does
not ship with a kernel that is paravirtualized, forcing me to choose a
guest configured as an HVM.

> What Kernel are you using? Can you send me some info what what you did to
> make your GPU can passthrough to a VM?

I used 2.6.32.40 from the pvops tree for Domain-0 and Xen 4.1. The VM
was configured as HVM using libvirt's XML configuration specification.
My system has an Intel Tylersburg chipset in it, providing an IOMMU
implementation (VT-d). After creating the guest, I added a section in
the XML file specifying which device to pass through, then wrote to a
/sys file to enable passthrough of GPUs at runtime:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo

I believe I used "virt-install" to configure and create a guest VM,
via the GUI that is provided.