Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Advisory 5 (CVE-2011-3131) IOMMU fault livelock

At 08:03 +0100 on 16 Aug (1313481813), Jan Beulich wrote:

> >> Are you sure? If (as said) the guest uses a second vCPU for doing the
> >> config space accesses, I can't see how this would save the pCPU the
> >> fault storm is occurring on.
> >
> > Hmmm.  Yes, I see what you mean.
>
> Actually, a second vCPU may not even be needed: Since the "fault"
> really is an external interrupt, if that one gets handled on a pCPU other
> than the one the guest's vCPU is running on, it could execute such a
> loop even in that case.
>
> As to yesterdays softirq-based handling thoughts - perhaps the clearing
> of the bus master bit on the device should still be done in the actual IRQ
> handler, while the processing of the fault records could be moved out to
> a softirq.

Hmmm.  I like the idea of using a softirq but in fact by the time we've
figured out which BDF to silence we've pretty much done handling the
fault.

Reading the VTd docs it looks like we can just ack the IOMMU fault
interrupt and it won't send any more until we clear the log, so we can
leave the whole business to a softirq.  Delaying that might cause the
log to overflow, but that's not necessarily the end of the world.
Looks like we can do the same on AMD by disabling interrupt generation
in the main handler and reenabling it in the softirq.

Is there any situation where we rally care terribly about the IOfault
logs overflowing?

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <tim@xxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team