[Xen-devel] RE: expose MWAIT to dom0

It's not safe to unconditionally advertise MWAIT, since if underlying CPU
doesn't
support it you'll get invalid op in Xen when attempting to use it. This is why I
want to see MWAIT expose to guest base on real cpu capability, even when I
say selectively expose it under xen cpuidle. :-)

> Else the kernel could get the flag from the real non paravirtualised CPUID
> instruction.

linux uses cpu_has to extract mwait capability. To use real cpuid instruction,
then
we need change Linux code which is not worthy though, like below:
       if (!cpu_has(c, X86_FEATURE_MWAIT))
               buf[2] &= ~(ACPI_PDC_C_C2C3_FFH);
If we make it into cpu_has bits, then it lacks of original guarding effect.

So how about the change like below?

emulate_forced_invalid_op:
-        __clear_bit(X86_FEATURE_MWAIT % 32, &c);
+        if ( !IS_PRIV(current->domain) || !xen_cpuidle )
+            __clear_bit(X86_FEATURE_MWAIT % 32, &c);

Thanks
Kevin