Re: [Xen-devel] RE: produce windows compatible dump file from Dom0

At 10:54 +0100 on 25 May (1306320891), David Markey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Did anyone make any progress on this?
>
> I'm interested in getting a Windows memory dump out of a XenServer
> suspend image.
>
> Is it even remotely possible?

I'm sure it's possible somehow, but it may involve getting your hands
dirty.  You could try:

- Take a copy of the suspend image (if that's possible) as a backup,
  since the next step will destroy it.
- Resume it, _paused_ (xe vm-resume uuid=xxx paused=true, I think).
- Attach kdd to it.  I believe kdd ships in the most recent XenServer.
- Use windbg from another VM to extract a crashdump.  If it's a recent
  version of Windows kdd may not recognise it, but it can
  probably be taught to.

Disclaimer: I'm not a member of the XenServer engineering or support
teams, and this does _not_ count as a supported feature of XenServer.
This is just random speculation you found on the internet. :)

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team