RE: [Xen-devel] what happens when a PoD page is touched?

Are you sure that your hibernation slowdown is not caused by your frontend
retrying failed block writes? Since hibernation knows nothing of what is
allocated to the balloon it may try to dump ballooned out pages (possibly
because they border pages containing useful info) which the storage backend
will fail to grant map and the blkif request will be errored. If you retry then
clearly you'll just get another error so if you have some sort of retry/timeout
mechanism in your hiber driver it may will explain the slowness you are seeing.

  Paul