Re: [Xen-devel] VGA passthrough on unstable

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 01:59:29AM +0800, Liwei wrote:
> On 6 May 2011 01:06, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah I didn't mean you to post the actual BIOS image file,
> > only the Xen patches that support loading the BIOS image from specified
> > file.
> > (so that people don't have to hardcode the BIOS image to custom binaries).
> >

> That I have not started and will probably need some work integrating a
> hex converter (or maybe require the user to supply the converted
> binary) and finding out how xen/qemu handles the configuration files.

Ok.

IMHO it's fine to require some pre-processing by the user,
since it's pretty manual step anyway to get the image captured from the card..

> > I think other people who tried those patches (and got them working)
> > had to modify the vbar/pbar ranges to match their hardware..
> >
> > btw the error message above mentions alignment.. did you try the
> > alignment option for xen-pciback?
> >
> > -- Pasi
> >

> Where do I modify the ranges? Is it the bunch of DWordMemory macros in
> dsdt.asl? And how do I determine the range that I must use?

I'm not sure, unfortunately. I haven't looked at the patches.

> I did a quick test by appending pci=resource_alignment=[all the
> pciback devices] to my boot command, it didn't seem to trigger any
> changes in my bootlog nor the guest booting, is that the right option?

So I assume you've read:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenPCIpassthrough

Which dom0 kernel are you using? is pciback a module, or built-in?

> Come to think of it, why are there errors for BDF 00:05.0 and 00:06.0
> when only 01:00.0 and 01:00.1 is passed in?

What pciback mode are you using?

-- Pasi