Re: [Xen-devel] Performance numbers on PV-on-HVM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, Jagadish Nadimpalli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I measured network performance with netperf on PV-on-HVM:
> Guest Kernel is taken from
> git://xenbits.xen.org/people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git.

The most up to date branch is 2.6.35-rc5-pvhvm-v7, please use it for
your tests.
Also make sure that the PV interfaces are actually running, in
particular use the right name for the root device ('/dev/xvda',
if you are using 'hda' in your VM config file).

> Xen hypervisor is taken from
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2478501.

I couldn't find the download link for xen-4.0.1-1.fc13.1.src.rpm but I
found the download link for xen-4.0.1-1.fc14.1.src.rpm and it contains
all the bits needed.

> Dom0 Kernel is taken from
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jermy/xen.git and switched to
> stable branch
> xen/stable-2.6.32.x).
> The Kernel configuration is taken from
> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.32.21-pvops-dom0-xen-stable-x86_64.
>
> The tutorial mentioned that the Kernel configuration has debug enabled and
> there will be a performance hit but I first
> wanted to get the setup UP and get some performance numbers(I will get the
> performance numbers by disabling the debug
> parameters in Kernel config and I will let you know those performance
> numbers). With the above combination, I am able to
> get the PV-on-HVM guest up and running.
>
> My machine has the following harware configuration.
> (1) Chipset - Intel 82Q35
> (2) Processor - Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Performance results might vary significantly depending on whether the
cpu supports EPT or not. Could you please cat /proc/cpuinfo?
If this cpu doesn't support EPT, it might be worth changing test
hardware :)

> Performance setup:
> ==============
> The dom0's Ethernet interface is connected to LAN. The netserver is running
> on another host that is connected to LAN. The
> netperf client is running on the PV-on-HVM guest. So, we are measuring
> performance from PV-on-HVM guest to a host on LAN.
> Using netperf, the performance numbers in Mbps are 723, 719, 703, 735, 709,
> 733 for 6 trails.
>
> Are there any published performance numbers with PV-on-HVM guest? I want to
> compare my numbers with the published ones.

I ran few kernbench a while back, these are the test results:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-05/msg01176.html