Re: [Xen-devel] Memory de-duplication (Persistent pages)

  • To: Xen-devel <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Kaustubh Kabra <kaustubhwise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:39:00 +0530
  • Cc: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:09:51 -0700

To solve memory deduplication in Xen using Gpu :

Current problem :
If Memory deduplication is done on Cpu ,a lot of memory is used for data structures and lot of computation time is wasted in finding duplicate page and becomes waste, if duplicate page is not found.

Proposed GPU solution: Let Gpu perform seraching for a shared page using multiple threads in parallel,improving searching operation and save data structures on GPU device memory ,which is possible. Communication between Cpu and Gpu can be done using inter processor synchronization which is also possible. Cpu process will run as a daemon that will invoke gpu process when ever deduplication is scheduled / if performance is good enough then for every page written in memory.

Correct me , if anything is wrong.

In my opinion, both could be useful projects.

--
Kaustubh Kabra
http://www.kaustubhwise.000a.biz